Recently I talking with an entrepreneur and he was sharing with me a challenge he has with his start-up company.
This guy is in the promotional items business, specializing in a specific niche in the industry (which I love). He is still in the startup phases, so he is obviously doing all the work himself.
Being a one man band, he is facing a challenge that most of us faced or are still facing today: time management.
I asked him to give me a rundown of a typical word day (which starts at 10:30, mistake #1!), he tells me that he is basically busy the whole day streamlining and systemizing the way he would send out quotes and proposals to potential clients.
Very important, I’m a very big believer of systemization, I work EVERY day on getting my business more and more systemized. I was sure if he is busy ‘systemizing’ the whole day, there is someone else or he has some way of getting sales. But no
, he doesn’t. He is afraid to go out and do sales, because once he actually gets a sale he might not be able to implement and deliver, and therefore not close all sales.
I very quickly realized that his problem is not time management, his problem is being busy doing everything else BUT the thing that’s most important for a startup company: SALES!!
While I agree that he might lose 10-15% of potential clients because his business is not YET streamlined 100%, but by not doing sales with the excuse that his business is not systemized, he will lose the other 85-90% potential customers that he can close each and every day.
When we started our own business, my partner and I were the whole day on the road knocking on the doors of real estate and management companies, and at night we were busy doing all the paperwork. At that time, it took us to do the paperwork 100 times longer than it takes today. Creating a simple proposal took us more than an hour, today it’s done with a press of a button.
Was it easy? Defiantly not, but would we not have done that, we would never had a chance to be in business. As I always say: “You can’t lose business if you’re not in business”.
Another important thing to remember, if you spend a lot of time and money now systemizing your business, you might be setting up the wrong systems. Without having real life experience, it is impossible to know exactly what type of challenges might arise or which challenges you might have down the road that could be solved with a the right system.
Go get your feet wet, and the only thing you should be focusing on is sales, sales and sales!!
Lose 10% but win the other 90%.
Systemize your business based on experience and real facts, rather than hopes, ideas and imagination.